top of page

A school choice student should have a high school transcript. It shows the student's academic readiness to do work or attend college.


In most states, the parent decides how many credits their student needs to graduate. Be sure to know the homeschool law in your state regarding graduation requirements, if any.


You can find the course and credit requirements for graduation for each state on the website Education Commission of the States.


Typically, a high school transcript will include something similar to the following:

  • 4 years of English including literature and writing

  • 4 years of math including a minimum of
    Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry, and Trigonometry

  • 2-4 years of social sciences, such as
    World History, World Geography, US History, and US Government

  • 2-3 years of lab sciences, such as
    Biology, Chemistry, and Physics

  • 2+ years of the same foreign language (some colleges give credit for ASL as a foreign language and some do not)

  • Electives 

Be sure that your student covers the material that is expected by the institutions to which they will apply. If your student doesn't yet know what they want to do after high school, it is a good idea to examine the requirements of a variety of institutions so that you can plan for all of the options. Most schools have a page listing the high school requirements for applicants, but requirements may be different for specific colleges/degree programs within each university.


Dual enrollment courses (usually taught at a community college or through a local high school) are another option. Dual enrollment courses are those for which a student earns both high school and college credit at the same time.


Transcripts you send to colleges should:

  • State that they are official transcripts (and if they are final, state that as well)

  • Show the grade point average based on grades and weighted credits 

  • Be free of spelling/grammar errors

  • Be printed on good quality paper 

  • Be signed by the school administrator (you!)

  • Be in a sealed envelope with a signature across the seal and submitted via USPS

If you have any issues, you may wish to offer a notarized copy of the transcripts, although this should not be necessary.

  • Facebook Classic
bottom of page